4.09.2011

Yum Yum

I have tried out a few new recipes in the past few months, and have had to be a bit creative, what with not having an oven and all. Some things have turned out great, and some things not even Zach will eat...but it's been fun figuring things out, nonetheless.

My absolute favorite recipe I came up with this winter is super easy and yummy, and with summer coming I thought I'd share it here. If you try it, let me know how it turns out and what you think!

We had a month or so this winter when money was really tight, and we were eating the kinds of foods that we ate when we were in our early twenties. We were eating a lot of Kraft dinner, ravioli, spaghetti with nothing on it...you get the picture. We happened to have a ton of canned tuna on hand, which was nice for casseroles and sandwiches, but that gets old fast. I was craving a burger one day, knowing that I couldn't have one, and asked the internet for tuna alternatives. I found a bunch of different recipes for tuna burgers and patties, but I didn't like everything about them...so I did some mixing and matching, and voila! A burger not made of beef that even a hungry boy like Zach loves. He actually gets excited when he sees me making them now, and that makes a wife feel all warm and fuzzy, I tells ya.

One Day These Will Be Known as Great Grandma Anna's Tuna Burgers

( I'm still working on that title there)

What you need:

2-3 cans of flaked tuna, drained
1/4 cup of quick oats
one egg
one tbsp. beef OXO powder
1/3 cup of finely chopped onion
one tsp. dried dill
2 shakes of black pepper

Only if you got 'em extra ingredients: blue cheese, crushed garlic


Throw all these ingredients into a bowl, and mix well. Shape into burger patties, and refridgerate for at least 2 hours, so they hold their shape. Depending on how large you make your burgers, this recipe should get you 4-8 patties.

Once chilled, lightly grease a frying pan/grill with your favorite grease ( margerine, oil, what have you), and heat. Once pan is heated, throw on the patties. Flip once bottom is starting to brown, cook until lightly browned and crispy on both sides. If BBQ'ing, make sure to grease the burger a tad so they don't stick to the grill. These are a bit more fragile that beef burgers, as they don't have all that fat to keep them together.

Serve as you would a regular burger, with all the fixings, or on it's own. I like put mine as a topping on a big salad, or just on rice if we don't have buns.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment